Saturday, May 14, 2011

NEWS BULLETIN

NEWS BULLETIN
We are sorry for interrupting your program, but we have a special report.


So, first I would like to point out that I have changed the progress tracker to do both that and (minimal) news. That being said, I tend to get a bit wordy, which is why I am making this post. I did not want that to become post-worthy length, and so we have this.

Next thing to point out is that episode 8 is on its way. In fact, it would be done now, but I cannot decide where I want to end it/start the next episode/start the following episode. Tis kinda annoying...but alas, it will be done by tomorrow night, I can assure you.


Okay, and now to more news-ish news.
I am taking a short break from playing. There are a couple reasons for this.
First and foremost, I would like to explain something.
I really dislike grinding. I am not a fan of it, at all. But I always make sure to grind my pokémon before important battles and now I certainly must do that or I won't be using that pokémon any more. I can assure you that I could beat Morty right now, quite possibly with no casualties. That being said, I would like to use more than 1-2 pokémon and would like a bit of insurance in case that Gengar of his is able to score a lot of hits with Hypnosis. Thusly, in SS, I am grinding.
I am also grinding a handful of pokémon in Fire Red (or would be, if I were playing that) and Pearl (again, if I were playing that game that much). And I am grinding A LOT of pokémon in Colosseum, which I am playing right now.
Thusly, I am taking a break from all forms of grinding for a short while. I kinda want to play some games where I am NOT just fighting the same trainers or wild pokémon again and again and again. Instead, I am playing games where I duel the same duelist again and again...expect that isn't for grinding purposes, technically speaking. And I am playing more games than just Stardust Accelerator...
I also want to do two other things in this break. I want to get to Goldenrod in writing and I would love to plan my team out some. Considering I have four flying types in my party currently in the story and, in the game (minor but predictable spoiler alert), I have only moved one of those four out of my party (end minor but predictable spoiler), I don't think that team planning is that bad an idea. I have some nice pokémon in the box now (especially with two newest additions) and planning on how I could fit them in would be a great idea. Those who I do fit in would then need to be raised to gym level as well and...well...you see where this starts to get tedious and you can see why I wanted to take a break.

Did people like the "Party Assessment" I did at the beginning of episode 7? I had been planning that for a while (in the game, I mean), which is why Timas was already at 15 (gym level) when he was taken out. In case you were wondering, Cecelia actually spent time in the box for Silver's egg, but I couldn't have that in the story (or, rather, didn't want to have it that way) and so I guess you could imagine that Luna or Gideon was out instead.
If you did like it, should I do it again and, if so, when? Every time I switch up my party? Before gyms/other important fights? Should I have more info on it? Did you need to be reminded which pokémon was which?
If you did not like it, why not? Should I abandon the idea altogether or just fix it up some and re-implement it?
Should I have something like that for the progress tracker (or somewhere else on the site) so you can see who is currently in my party during the play-through, or would that be too many spoilers?

After a couple more chapters, I am thinking of doing a recap chapter. The purpose of this chapter would be to go back through the highlights, point out lucky or unlucky catches, remind people who is who and what their evolutionary stage is and, if someone dies, recount how it happened (and perhaps in-game detail of how I let it happen). Do you think this is a good idea? If so, how often should I do this?
Currently, the plan is to do one after gym 3, gym 6, E4, gym 12, gym 16, all gym re-fights and E4 re-fights. Then the only things left would be Mewtwo, Red and any straggler legendaries I want to fight.

Soon I will be looking for someone to trade with me so I can evolve some pokémon. Cecelia will certainly be evolving once she reaches gym level, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to evolve Spook then too if I decide to train him. Without getting into any spoilers, there may or may not be other pokémon I want to trade, but it is undetermined as of yet.
Trade related question arises though. If I have an item to evolve a pokémon in Pearl but not in Soul Silver, am I allowed to trade that pokémon over to Pearl, attach the item and then trade it back? This counts for trade evolutions that might require items I do not have. I ask because last run-through of SS, I did this to make my Seadra a Queendra (because I had a dragonscale in Pearl) and to make Togetic a Togekiss (because you cannot get Shiny Stones until after the national dex and, even then, one of the few ways to get them is Bug Catching Contest, which I cannot possibly win more than once per the rules of Nuzlocke). Currently, Silver is the only candidate for this since all other evolutions can be attained through means I can access (such as trade or findable stone, albeit difficult to find them...). If I do this, what am I allowed to do with the pokémon in the other game? Could I take it to the move re-learner (since he is in Blackthorn in SS) and, if so, do I need a Heart Scale from SS? I want opinions on this as well. It is not as pressing a matter, all things considered, but I would love to know, for party-planning purposes, if I will have a Togekiss who can (re-)learn Aura Sphere or not and things of that nature (since it could also re-learn magical leaf before becoming a Togekiss thanks to move re-learner and yadda yadda yadda...).


For some less than news-ish news...
I really wish the TM system from Black and White had been implemented earlier. I mean, yes, the earlier TM system bolsters the strategy element of the game because you can only use a TM once...but in SS, I cannot go back to Dark Cave because I don't want to waste my money buying another Flash TM. In Pearl, I cannot decide what pokémon I want to teach Steel Wing, and I really just want it as a training move. The BW system is very nice and makes training pokémon at least somewhat easier. I have a wealth of TMs that I can use in case I acquire a pokémon with a horrible move set. I cannot do that at all in other games, especially Colosseum, which is where I need it the most!

Speaking of BW, the Dream World is awesome. I just got a Kangaskhan last night with a better(ish) ability that knows Drain Punch. Awesome, right? I just wish you could see natures when befriending a pokémon, because I have some that have horrible natures from the DW.

Also, I want a Yanma with Compound Eyes. Not for SS, but in general. I want a Yanmega with Tinted Lens (since I am working on getting one with Speed Boost, a.k.a. grinding even more in Pearl). And I'd rather not breed for one because both of the Yanmas in my possession have Speed Boost (and one of those Yanmas is stuck in Colosseum...) so I don't have grand chances breeding a different ability.


Um...I do believe that is it. Thank you for tuning in to this special report. We now bring you back to your previous program, already in progress.

2 comments:

  1. If another were to help you via trading for an evolution, i would like to believe that they can help by offering an item they 'have no use for.' If you were to then find a use for the item such as an evolution, then i would be in favor of allowing you to send items over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean if I am trading with myself I could do that? Because I cannot think of a pokémon for which I would need another Shiny Stone, since I already evolved my Roselia into a Roserade in Pearl. The only other pokémon that requires a Shiny Stone is fifth gen, and you cannot transfer items over between 4th and 5th (probably because of all the TM changes...).

    ReplyDelete