Tuesday, April 12, 2011

About, info, polls and links.

So…how many of you have heard of the Nuzlocke challenge? If you have not heard, fear not, for I shall explain it.

The Nuzlocke challenge started from one person deciding to replay Ruby with stricter rules. He posted a few comics of it and a Seedot –> Nuzleaf that he had with John Locke (from Lost, I guess…I never watch the show, so I wouldn’t know) became the posterboy and thus name of the challenge.

There are only two rules.


1) Any pokémon that faints is to either be released or to be put in a separate PC box, considered dead. (Most people release.)

2) You are only allowed to catch the first pokémon that appears on a route. If it faints or flees, too bad. These, plus gift pokémon and your starter, are the only pokémon you can use. (You can receive pokémon from the same place you caught one, such as Dragon’s Den with the gift Dratini or Iron Island with the gift Riolu egg. This probably won’t come up much though.)

So why am I posting this? Because I have decided to do a Nuzlocke challenge.


And I am going to document it here, on a blog just for it.


I am also going to add a few rules, some of which are optional rules while others are just self-imposed.

1) No trades, in-game or otherwise. The only exception is for trade-evolutions if I end up with one (or more) of those pokémon. [Personal]

2) No repels until after I catch/fail to catch the pokémon in that area. They are a waste of money anyway (and depending on the version, you can use them to get specific pokémon by waiting until a certain floor/room/whatever or by having a specific level in front as a cap of sorts). Certain things, however, are near impossible without them (like the basement of Wayward cave with all of its fun bike ramps). [Personal]

3) All pokémon must receive nicknames. It furthers the bond and makes it a bit more fun to read. [Optional]

4) No Legendaries. I do not think (if playing FR at least) I have the chance to get any without using repels, but I could get quite a few with Pearl. This does not mean I cannot catch them (as Palkia is the only pokémon in Spear Pillar), but just that I cannot use them. [Optional]

4.1) Legendary pokémon who are roaming do NOT count as first encounters on a route, even if they are the first encounter. I mean, really, I am not going to catch an Entei (or have it flee) on some random route and then lose that route as a chance to get a pokémons… [Personal]

5) No masterballs. You can possibly get multiple in Pearl, actually. But they are not allowed to be used. [Optional]

6) No breeding. Dittos can be found in any of these (I think, at least) but even outside of that, no breeding. Only eggs that are allowed are gift eggs like Togepi or Riolu. [Personal]

7) I may catch, but may not train, any shiny pokemon I run into other than the first on a route. If I do catch them, I must immediately transfer them to another game and delete the pokemon I got in exchange. [Personal, because I said so]


So like I said, I am going to document this. But how, you ask?

Here on a blog dedicated to it. I shall post the entry on the blog, then put it on FB (with a link to the blog in it).

The style will be a personal one from my trainer’s point of view, perhaps like a diary. I shall be writing it. Many have drawn them, but I suck at art and lack the want to attempt it (drawing pokémons is hard…) so writing it is. When I catch/recieve a new pokémon, I will put up a (small) stats thing. Every time after that, I will refer to them by name, most likely.


Nickname, POKÉMON SPECIES (Gender)

Ability; Nature (+stat, -stat)

Where caught/received


[Random] Example:

Rocky, GEODUDE (Male)

Sturdy; Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)

Rock Tunnel

(I’ll try to come up with better nicknames than “Rocky” though…)


I do not know how much I will put in each update. I do not know how spaced they will be. I do not know how long this will take me (though it may be eons in Silver). I at least, however, plan on having separate updates for important things like gym/rival/Team Rocket (or Galactic) battles. If you want news from me about it and I am not posting an update, just message me and I will try to get back to you with a roundabout of where I am and what I am doing.

There may be some things from interesting perspectives, since it will be through Trainer eyes. Just saying…

As a trainer, I do reserve the right to skip routes until later. For example, I will try for a Gible in Pearl if it ends up being that game. However, to do that, I must go to a certain area and enter a hidden entrance of a cave once I get the strength HM instead of entering the cave right away. This does not mean I will get a Gible (though if I could use repels, I could assure I’d get to that floor, at least [which is an example of how repels could be viewed as cheating…]).


Anyway, I have a few polls for you guys.


First, I can do this in either Fire Red or Pearl. I would prefer to do this in Pearl. I have read a comic (link below, the art does improve) of a play through of Leaf Green in this manner and I would prefer not to follow in those exact footsteps. However, I will leave it up to you guys to decide which.

NOTE: I would put Silver on here, but I would prefer to not do Silver, just because my things from one DS game are being transferred to the other and, quite frankly, Silver is the better to keep everything on. Also, it would take quite a long time to go through this to Red and E4 refight…

However, if there are many votes for it, I may consider it.


Secondly, what starter should I choose?

In Fire Red, my options are Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur.

In Pearl, my options are Chimchar, Piplup and Turtwig.

In Silver (just for coverage), the choices are Cyndaquil, Totodile and Chikorita.

I would prefer not to do Squritle in Fire Red just because you get Lapras as a gift pokémon and you can also assure you get a water type where you cannot assure you get a grass or fire type (though you can evolve Eevee into Flareon, I suppose).

Likewise, in Pearl, you get Lucario as a gift pokémon, which has both Piplup and Chimchar’s secondary types. And again, many possibilities for water types there too.

I guess that Silver is the only game where I really wouldn’t complain about using the water type because Totodile is an amazing physical water type in 4th gen, better than Quagsire, who is my standby buddy. Again though, the same argument about water types does arise. However, the only gift pokémon in this game are Togepi and Dratini, so no problems with redundant gifts.

Anyway, that choice I will leave to you. I do reserve the right to override the choices if it seems like you guys are choosing things just to make this a lot harder on me or piss me off.


Finally, any name suggestions? I will accept suggestions for my character or for any random pokémon I may encounter (starter’s included).


Again, the questions are as follows:

Which game version?

Fire Red (3rd gen remake of 1st gen)

Pearl (4th gen game)

Soul Silver (4th gen remake of 2nd gen) [Votes for this may be overruled, but you can still vote for it]


What starter pokémon?

[See above for lists]


Name suggestions?


Anyway, I will decide on lengths once I get the game specified. However, thoughts now are to Mewtwo/E4 refight in FR, Red (with E4 refight before as a possibility) in SS and Heatran/all areas explored in Pearl (damn, there is no good post-E4 stopping point, is there?). I will also put up a list of every area (and maybe some sort of checklist) once the version is decided (as the safari zone has multiple areas and some routes and caves do actually have multiple [legitimate] parts).


Oh, and another thing...

I have no clue when I will actually start this. I might have to wait until summer...

But you'll know when I do start it.


Appropriate links:

Comic previously mentioned (and style for which I may shoot):

http://pettynuzlockelg.smackjeeves.com/comics/1033352/a-petty-nuzlocke-challenge-new-cover/

Bulbiapedia article on the Challenge, in case you don’t believe me or want another source:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nuzlocke_Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment