Sunday, April 24, 2011

Chapter 3 - New Buddies

"I must say," Timas said, "that Cyndaquil certainly fit that boy's fiery personality."
I paused and looked at Timas. "Really? Because I'm sure he thought he was cool."
We both started laughing. We're terrible, aren't we?

We continued our trip back to Elm's lab, but I had a feeling I already knew exactly what the professor's disaster had been.
Sure enough, we arrived and Elm was talking with a police officer. The officer spotted me and began to rant about how suspects always return to the scene of the crime and how he knew this because he was an amazing officer and so on and so forth... Basically, he was accusing me. Lyra came in to defend me.
"It wasn't him," she said. "I saw the boy who did it. He had red hair."
"Red hair," I said, not hiding my surprise. "I saw someone with red hair as I was leaving Cherrygrove."
"Really now? You did?" asked the officer.
"Yes, his name was Lucius. He had a Cyndaquil that I assume was stolen."
"Indeed it was, young man. And now I am off to find this hoodlum."

The officer left and Lyra did shortly thereafter, bidding me a good day as she did. Timas trotted around the lab as I chatted with Elm.
"So you called the police right away?"
"That's right. And then I called you."
"And was the officer there when you did that?"
"Hmm...why, yes, he was."
"So...why did he think I did it?"
"I have no clue."
There was a short lull and Timas hopped on my lap. I gave Elm the mystery egg and he looked at it briefly before turning his attention back to me.
"So I see you have a pokédex now."
"Yep. I met Professor Oak and he gave it to me."
"That's actually really good. Oak can tell potential in trainers like no other." He looked at Timas, sitting on my lap. "He really likes you too. You know, I think you should take the gym challenge."
"The gym challenge?"
"Yep. There are 8 gyms that you can challenge and then the pokémon league. You could become champion."
"Yeah, I guess I could." At the time, the thought didn't appeal to me. I wasn't like Lucien. I didn't want to be the best. But...if I did this, maybe I could keep Lucien on a better track. And that was reason enough. "Sure, I'll give it a shot."
"Great. You can at least try to tackle the gym in Violet City. From there, I guess you can decide whatever."
"Very true."
Elm and I chatted for a short while longer before I went and visited my mom. She thought the idea was a great way for me to learn about the world. She even told me that she'd save me some money. She wished me luck and sent me off. I think she may have been holding off tears.

When I got out of the city, I saw Lyra in the grass. She wanted to show me how to catch wild pokémon (and she did) and she then gave me some pokéballs. I set out catching as soon as she left, including finding a mountain base to the north of where I had just been.

Gideon, PIDGEY (male)
Keen Eye; Relaxed (+Def., -Speed)
Lvl 2, Route 29

Cecilia, GEODUDE (female)
Sturdy; Relaxed (+Def., -Speed)
Lvl 3, Route 46

Bella, KAKUNA (female)
Shed Skin; Bashful (N +Sp. Atk., -Sp. Atk.)
Lvl 4, Route 30

I decided to train my new friends before going any further.

No comments:

Post a Comment